Aerodrome Control Procedural Courses are scheduled to operate as follows:
- APP 1-13 January 7th, 2013
- APP 2-13 March 11th, 2013
- APP 3-13 August 12th, 2013
- APP 4-13 October 28th, 2013
- 7 weeks (+ 1 week for Pre APP course)
To provide entrants with the essential skills, knowledge and competencies in Approach Control Procedural in order to successfully obtain the student award rating.
The Approach Control Procedural Course provides a comprehensive grounding in procedural operations. It will enable entrants to successfully operate in any approach control procedural environment within or outside UK regulated airspace.
The course provides both theory and practical instruction and is followed by written, verbal and practical assessments. The practical exercises cover a wide range of traffic types and situations of increasing complexity.
Upon successful completion of the course to the appropriate CAA quality standards, a certificate of competency will be awarded and entrants can progress onto OJT training or the Unit Training phase of their career development.
- Entrants must be at least 18 years old on completion of the course to gain a student licence or
- Entrants must be at least 21 years old on completion of the course in order to gain a full ATCO licence
All entrants must hold one of the following:
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) or
- Equivalent qualification which would enable the applicant to gain entry to a university or equivalent or
- A sufficient combination of experience and education to satisfactorily complete air traffic control training.
All entrants must also hold:
- A valid European Class 3 Medical (initial medical must be completed by CAA)
- A minimum Language Level 4 (ICAO Language Proficiency rating) is required – this is tested during the course if not already completed
Core Subjects and Course References:
- Approach Control Procedural Theory
- Air Traffic Management
- Data Display
- VFR, IFR, SVFR Operations
- Separation Standards
- Controller Airspace Familiarisation
- SVFR Operations
- TRUCE Training
- CAP 393
- CAP 493
- CAP 637
- CAP 744
- CAP 745
- EATM Common Core Content
- ICAO Doc 4444
- CAP 744